Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions. Your generous donation will fund our mission.
We are beyond desperate.
We rescued an adorable family of mom and five puppies on July 13th and immediately put them into a 10 day quarantine, not knowing that they had been previously exposed to parvovirus. Unfortunately, over the next week or so, one by one the pups fell sick, and we scrambled to rush them into emergency vet care. As of July 19, all five pups had been admitted to three separate local emergency hospitals. As of July 26, the first puppy hospitalized (Bruiser) has been released and appears to be doing well, with the other four are still going through the parvovirus “roller coaster”.
UPDATE: July 27... two more pups have been released from emergency care
UPDATE: July 30... all pups back in foster and doing well!
Three pups adopted and two left... Dakota and Bella, along with mom, Butters are available for adoption. Click here to be transferred to our adoption page: CCSPCA Petfinder Link
The vet costs have now exceeded our available funds, and we are $7,000 in debt, as of August 26, 2022.
Please consider a donation to help them. We would be grateful for any amount at this time.
Central Coast SPCA is a non-profit organization, Fed. ID#20-0294474 - Dedicated to animal rescue since 2003.
We had a $17,000 contingency for major medical - but unfortunately it wasn't enough for five pups, and two weeks critical medical care each. So far, the pups have averaged between $5,000 and $7,500 per pup, with one topping $9,000 due to canine flu and pneumonia, on top of parvovirus.
UPDATE: Penny is an awesome pup and is ready for her new home. Contact us by email if you wish to meet her: email@example.com
Sweet Penny had a rough beginning in life... but she is sure doing better now!
When Penny was rescued at 3 months of age, she was emaciated, continuously regurgitating her food, and had some terrible skin issues, along with a strange "twitching" when tired or resting. We took her to specialists in Santa Barbara (Advanced Vet Services) to find out what was going on.
Cardiology was first... and they determined that Penny has some minor underdeveloped heart defects, along with a condition called Megaesophagus (ME) (click link). Next, scheduling Penny with an Internist was helpful in ruling out many secondary conditions of ME, and it was determined her ME was congenital, possibly brought on by distemper (click link). We believe that Penny's mom had distemper while pregnant, and was given antibiotics as a treatment.
These two things in combo prevented full development of her esophagus, and heart... and left her with a "twitch" when resting, along with loss of enamel on her adult teeth, resulting in brown, missing and easily broken teeth.
Penny is an amazing puppy! She learned how to get into her new Bailey Chair in just a few days, and knows that she has to stay in the chair for 15 minutes afterwards to allow all food to pass into her stomach. All of her meals need to be ground up and then water added until it is a "milkshake" consistency. When released from the chair she is a normal puppy who runs, plays and chases the other dogs with gleeful happiness. While we plan to fix her teeth in the next month, Penny is doing so well she is currently adoptable!
Penny was spayed in Santa Barbara under strict cardiology guidelines, and received an endoscopy at the same time. Everything went great and we are happy to report that Penny does not have any secondary conditions to ME, but it cost almost $2,500 for these procedures.
At 6 months of age, Penny had a full dental to fix broken, missing and brown teeth due to lack of enamel from the dystemper virus and treatment (see photo on left). She is completely missing her canines, which causes her tongue to hang out the side of her mouth. We knew that this will be expensive, and are still fundraising for the dental procedure.
Like most animal rescues, we have not been able to fundraise in a normal way this year, and do not have the financial reserves we usually keep for emergencies... and therefore need donations to help Penny and other emergency rescues. PLEASE HELP!!! Donations can be made through PayPal (scroll up to the donations link) or checks can be mailed to: CCSPCA, P.O. Box 2952, Orcutt, CA 93457. All donations are tax deductible as we are a 501c3 non profit rescue organization.
Original Post: Penny was accepted into our organization on December 29 after her owners couldn't financially help her any longer, but wanted to make sure she would be ok.
Tentatively diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia, which is a tear in the chest cavity wall. She has an upcoming appointment with a cardiologist and we are keeping her comfortable and calm until then. If further testing shows the tear can be fixed, she will hopefully go right into surgery.
Penny is very sweet, loves everyone, and has a wonderful temperament... after surgery she will make some special person or family an ideal addition to their home.
UPDATE: Honey had to be rushed back to UC Davis and her liver is failing. This sweet furbaby will remain in our care, and her bills will be covered by us as long as she needs. Please consider a donation!
Back in February 2019 we rescued a neglected and possibly abused tiny puppy named Honey. She had some interesting cuts and abrasions, along with mange and a liver problem that was causing her to lose weight and not absorb nutrients. After a complete liver lab panel our vet diagnosed a liver shunt, and a follow up acid bile test confirmed it. Honey was immediately put on medications and a special diet. Rae Mobraaten (foster mom extraordinaire) contacted UC Davis for a specific powder needed to keep Honey healthy and allow her to absorb nutrients. So far Honey seems to be holding her own and we will probably never know the exact cause of her liver shunt, whether genetic, toxins, or even blunt force impact.
In March Honey had an appointment with a internal specialist in Santa Barbara who suggested a CT scan to gain further information, and after several trips back and forth to Santa Barbara, she had the scan. The results were worst case scenario... she not only needs to have liver shunt surgery, but has the rarer type of intrahepatic or internal blood vessel bypass not normally seen in small breeds. Unfortunately only a handful of clinics has the equipment necessary to handle this specific surgery along with the neonatal size instruments and life-saving staff to care for a 3-1/2 lb small breed puppy.
It was suggested that the only vet hospital capable of this type of surgery is UC Davis, in northern California and their quote is $10,000. While Rae and I work to set up the transfer of records to UC Davis... we need to also fundraise for her expensive surgery. Her CT scan was $1,700 (with our 15% rescue discount) and current donations are at $7,300.00... so we need just a bit more to help this adorable little girl.
WE NEED A HUGE EFFORT TO SAVE HER LIFE.
I ask all of our members to please please think of a way to help fundraise for Honey. Perhaps it's sharing our GoFundMe on your own Facebook page over and over again; sending letters to family and friends; having a private garage sale with the proceeds going towards Honey; or even a birthday party special cause for guests to donate. How about organizing a bake sale? The funding for Honey's surgery will require several fundraisers simultaneously, and organized quickly in order to reach our goal in the time she has. I will be planning a BBQ soon... but this isn't something I will be able to do all on my own, and we need help. If we can get multiple fundraisers going quickly we may be able to prevent side affect damage and escalating hospital costs in the meantime. The longer we wait the more Honey is at risk of seizures, kidney disease, build up of ammonia in her liver which will ultimately cause death.
We have raised these kind of funds in the past... Nemo needed multiple surgeries that costs over $25,000, Dover topped $20,000, and Heidi was just over $14,000. We partnered with Nicole and Annie for her service dog a bit over a year ago and raised almost $15,000. We have had a lot of help over the years to do amazing things... and we need those warriors to help out now!!
Anyone willing to help set up a fundraiser please contact me asap and let's save this little dog's life!
Fundraising $10,000 for Honey's lifesaving liver shunt surgery!
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 11, 2019: After countless fundraisers we have ALMOST raised enough funds for Honey's surgery! Surgery is scheduled at UC Davis on September 30th and we are still $800 short!!!!
HONEY HAD SURGERY!!!!
Honey was picked up by KELLY FAIRBROTHER at 3:30 am on September 30th for the long 6 hour trek up to UC Davis. After a full exam it was determined that Honey was well enough for surgery and Kelly was able to drop her off. Thank you sooooo much, Kelly!!!
On October 1 the ultra sound was done, and on October 2 Honey had an MRI. Between the two tests the vets found that her liver was 50% the size of normal, which was expected... but otherwise Honey was a good candidate for Liver Shunt surgery.
October 3: Honey has surgery! They were successful in going through her carotid artery to feed the line down her veins and into her liver. She has a bit of bruising, but otherwise fine.
October 4: Everything looks good and Honey is recuperating on schedule.
October 5: Honey comes home! Thank you Dustin & Irma Harrison for the long drive to pick her up. While she is very thin, Honey is bouncy and happy to be home.
At this point Honey has had a few setbacks...in the first week home she wasn't eating and appeared nauseous, even vomiting a few times. Rae and I decided she should see a vet, and went to Nipomo Dog & Cat in case anything major was going on. Dr. Stamp found that Honey was probably feeling sick due to the antibiotics she was on... and a shot of Cerenia seems to have worked, because since then Honey has been eating voraciously!
On Oct 17 Rae noticed that Honey had labored breathing and called for permission to take her to PETs Hospital. Early diagnosis seems to point to pneumonia, and they most likely will start her on new medications. We are still waiting..
October 17 late evening: I picked up Honey at PETs Hospital and trekked her back to Nipomo and her foster mom, Rae. She is doing much better and the pneumonia was confirmed. Honey has a few more medications to take and needs hot steam treatments daily... but it looks like she will be ok in a week or two.
Thank you Rae Mobraaten for keeping our Honey healthy, and being so quick to notice the little girl's subtle symptoms!
DONATIONS STILL NEEDED!!!
(Click on the PayPal Link above)
Photos are uploaded!
Click on the link below "Saturday Photos" and follow the prompts. The index number of the photo that was printed and framed for you is written on your gold information card... use that number to find your photos more easily.
Click HERE to be directed to the Dropbox.
Koda's adoption became final on October 1, and after 6 months of over $6,000 in vet, surgical and rehab expenses, I am happy to report that he is doing fantastic and has a forever life of fun on the ranch with Jerry & Sheri Rawlins.
Now begins the 4 months of rehabilitation - teaching Koda to walk again.
There's much to see here. So, take your time, look around, and view the available pets in our organization.
Website for adoptable pets: CentralCoastSPCA.petfinder.com
Check out this great video
Check out this great video
Sign up to hear from us about specials events, discounts at local pet retail stores, and pet adoptions.
Copyright © 2022 Central Coast SPCA - All Rights Reserved.